Sunday, March 3, 2013

MASSIVE UPDATE!!!!!

It's finally happened! I can get Internet access that let's me put up photos!
This is my room at USP! Mickey moved in since this was taken. and it's a lot messier now.... but that was to be expected. fun fact. lizards and cockroaches fit under the door...... we've also added two fans which is nice.


Simple but comfortable!


These are the SIT dorms at USP. we share them with some girls from Fiji which is really fun.


This is the rest of campus essentially. the "workout facilities" to the right,
dining hall some mens dorms and academic buildings behind that. There's a lot more student housing and a few offices in the front but everythings open like this.

Proof we actually do homwork. This is Elsa, Takili (cook Islands) and Catarina.


This is the ocean right off of Apia. Since the cyclone it's been pretty brown I guess. They expect that it'll be tourquoise again before we leave!


I hope you got a good taste of schoo life here! i cant say it's that bad I guess! Usually what we do is have language class for 2 hours a day with Rona and Jackie (our directors/ teachers. Then we do lunch and have a guest lecture in the afternoon for an hour or more. They cover all Samoan topics like education (my favorite thus far) religion, health etc. We get some amazing people to come in who are very influential here. It's really an amazing opportunity. The work is hard. It's not the spring break we all had in mind. We had our first research paper due last week. It wasn't hard in the sense that it was unbelieveably long. We had to use books. Internet wasn't working and all we had was the library. You might laugh but here the library opens at 8, closes and 6 and isn't open on the weekends. This was hard for us to adjust to. It's so far from what research is like at Skidmore. It really showed me how lucky I am to have the academic resources Skidmore provides and the easy accessability of my life at home. But that being said, I did manage to finish a paper with no internet! Who knew it was possible....



1 comment:

  1. wow. just wow. this sounds so different, so amazing, so life-changing, and so everything! this is wonderful! you are extremely brave! I don't know if I could do what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete